FLSA Status: Exempt |Reports to: Production Manager and Project Manager | Annual Salary: $32,000-$35,000
Benson Food Service is seeking a talented Sous Chef for The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center at its Coastal Georgia Location. This position will be working at a very large dining facility, with cafeteria style service that will feed upwards of 5,000 meals each day. The dining hall is open 365 days a year for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We are looking for an individual who is committed to providing the best possible dining experience at FLETC-Glynco for every guest. We’re looking for a professional who will deliver excellent customer service and quality in every product we offer, address guest needs and anticipate requests.
The Sous Chef must be available to work any shift and during the hours of 4:30 AM to 2:00 PM or 10:30 AM to 9:00 PM.
Benson Food Service’s Culture
We have a philosophy for each and every one on our service team to give something extra. A Benson Food Service employee:
- Exhibits a positive, friendly and respectful attitude towards guests and other team members.
- Arrives to work on time and in correct uniform, clean shoes, clean and pressed black pants and
shirt, apron, name tag, and a SMILE.
- Understands job duties and responsibilities, as well as having an eagerness to learn more and
develop new skills.
- Promotes a fun and efficient work environment, focusing on guest satisfaction.
Qualifications and Skills
- 4-5 years of culinary experience in a high volume foodservice operation.
- Four-year degree or culinary school completion preferred.
- Serve-Safe certification preferred .
- Experience preparing and cooking large quantities of food.
- Knowledge of best practices for training kitchen staff and implementing procedures.
- High level of creativity and reliability.
- Experience as a hands-on kitchen supervisor.
- Flexible schedule required.
- Knowledge with sanitation and safety standards.
- Familiarity with menu costing procedures.
- Excellent organizational and communications skills.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Must maintain a clean uniform, including the top, pants, hat or hairnet, apron and nametag.
- Prepare and cook large quantities of food, including soups.
- Cook main entrees and vegetables for meal service in the cafeteria.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area.
- Responsible for the daily supervision and training of new cooks and kitchen staff.
- In charge of recipe adherence, to include:
- Monitor the production, testing, and adjusting of recipes as needed.
- Taste food on a shift by shift basis and correct as needed to retain quality and consistency.
- Prepare, distribute, collect and enter production sheet data daily.
- Complete and submit food orders as needed.
- Maintain organization of sheet to shelf inventory in all coolers, freezers and storage areas.
- Participate in taking inventory counts each month.
- Always uphold safety standards. To include, but not limited to:
- Monitor staff cutting glove usage
- Proper changing of gloves
- Hairnet usage
- Employee uniform standards
- Always maintain sanitation standards and use safe food handling procedures.
- Must follow Serv-Safe requirements and SFM personal appearance policy.
- Control food cost and plate cost.
- Maintain leftover/re-usable food product reutilization systems and rotations on a shift by shift basis.
- Cover the responsibilities of the Production Manager in their absence.
- Occasionally assist with other tasks to support meal production, service, breakdown, or over all cleanliness of the kitchen.
- Participate in discussions and action plans put into place to meet budget goals.
- Assist with catering functions as needed.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. Benson Food Service is an equal opportunity employer.